Friday, January 9, 2009

On being a therapist

I just feel compelled to share with the world a little something I shared with Kira yesterday. I spent the day yesterday doing therapy with several people (individually) who al seemed pretty hopeless about thier chances of finding a decent person to be with who would accept them as they are, and who would remain committed to them long-term. So yesterday when I came home one of the first things I did was tell Kira how much I appreciate her when I'm doing therapy. She gives me hope that I try to pass along to clients when they are despairing. I know it's not always my job to be a ray of sunshine when people just need to sit in the darkness for a while, but I try to carry hope for them when they aren't able to find any.

So a little party in my heart yesterday on behalf of love, acceptance, and hope. I love my job. It brings such great perspective to life. I pray that all of you out there get to feel as lucky as I do someday. (I know, cue the sappy love song music, etc.) Just thought you should know.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I feel the same way you do (about Kurt, not Kira although I'm sure she's wonderful!).

I'd be lost without him.

I also feel that way about my kids... St. Jude Hospital recently ran a marketing campaign for which the slogan was "Give thanks for the healthy kids in your life..." Everytime I saw the commercial or saw posters on busses, etc - I would just cry.

We take so much for granted.

Thanks for the reminder that we need to stop and be thankful for who and what we have. So many people have so much less than we do...